Friday, 1 August 2008

F5 / F9

I am slowly but surely going mad. I am currently grafting some lovely shiny C# 3.5 code on to the side of our legacy Delphi.Win32 code. This means working in Visual Studio and the Delphi IDE simultaneously.

I doubt that I will ever love the Delphi IDE. OK, I am still annoyed that it was crashing 20 times per day (literally -- I took to obsessively recording them) until I applied the service pack, but at least it's stable now. The IDE lacks the most basic functionality: no moving the cursor back to a line before this one, no clicking on a point in the call stack and having it set the frame so you can inspect variables at that point, no examining the values of variables if an exception gets thrown. Still, I don't have to love it. Delphi is obviously circling the drain as a development environment. Their latest schedule of coming features makes it obvious they are a few years behind the curve. Coming real soon, Unicode strings! 64 bit will have to wait until the time of our children's children.

But that's not what's driving me mad. It's the F5/F9 thing. In Visual Studio F5 is run, F9 is set breakpoint. In Delphi it's exactly the opposite. For the past twenty odd years, I have used IDEs where F5 means run, so it's now burned into my brain. Having F5 mean "insert breakpoint" just seems profoundly wrong.

There doesn't seem to be a way to remap the keys in Delphi beyond choosing a Visual Studio emulation mode (it doesn't specify what version of VS). I could remap the keys in Visual Studio, but VS has things the way I like them.

In the interests of fair and balanced whining, I should point out that even Microsoft can't decide about the whole F5/F9 thing. I usually have a folder open on the Global Assembly Cache. I have to hit F5 to refresh it. In Outlook, refreshing (checking for new messages) is F9.

No comments: