Friday, 23 March 2007

Fried SIM

All of a sudden the Vodem got confused. It would ask what Vodafone subsidiary to connect to. Specifying Vodafone NZ didn't help -- it would just say you had to be registered on their network. WinXP system restore the previous day's state didn't help, but some sleuthing (take the SIM card from my phone and put it in the Vodem)led me to believe the SIM was fried. With a different card it at least knew about Vodafone NZ. I wasn't game to try connecting since I don't have a data plan for my phone.

The EULA is generic and doesn't pertain to the release software but there is a EULA for NZ on the flashdrive of the Vodem. The tech support numbers in the EULA are no longer in service so I went to my friendly neighbourhood Vodafone franchise and $20 later had a new SIM card and a connection again.

Why did I have to pay for the SIM card, you may well be asking yourself? The store was not owned by the same franchisee as where I bought the Vodem. I figured $20 (actually $30 incl a $10 credit on the account) was better than a drive to the North Shore in rush hour traffic.

Interestingly the EULA claims they used a GPLed SAX parser.

Various menus in the Vodafone "Mobile Connect Lite" have problems -- including unhandled exceptions that make the whole app terminate unexpectedly. Do you ever get that itch to debug someone else's stuff, or is it just me?

1 comment:

CustomerServiceNZ said...

Believe me Simon.
You are not the only one wanting to debug other people's code. I have seen plenty of instances where thing don't work as they should I feel like contacting them to give them a piece of my mind and suggeting solutions.