Monday, 26 March 2007

More broadband woes

This is getting weird. I am wondering if I have accumulated some bad network karma somehow. Maybe I should change the byline for this blog from "random musings with a technical bent" to "incessant whining about broadband". Just composing this entry, the Vodem claims to be connected but is experiencing DNS resolution failures.

Anyway: Mo's laptop was refusing to connect to the wired connection in our apartment. No sign of life at all on the PCMCIA card (the machine is so old it doesn't have integrated Ethernet). She tried the obvious solutions then had me look at it.

No problem with the wall -- our other laptop connected just fine although I did have to explicitly ipconfig /renew. I suspected the PCMCIA adapter. Quick look in the XP device manager (long time since I poked around in there) showed that Windows had disabled the device. It claims this is usually because of resource conflicts. Very strange. The only change in the config of this machine in recent memory is unplugging the PCMCIA smart card reader that Mo no longer uses.

When things work, it's sweet. But sometimes I wonder how the hoi polloi are supposed to manage.

No comments: