Monday, 19 March 2007

Vodem as tamagotchi

Remember those tamagotchis -- electronic pets that needed constant love and attention? My wee vodem is a bit like that.

As I noted in another post, the driver software doesn't cope very well with hibernation or stand by modes on my laptop. The solution seems to be to disconnect the device and wait until it has unloaded (systray icon disappers -- sometimes requires mousing over for XP to realize it shouldn't be displaying the icon anymore) and THEN go to standby. I just thought I had done it right but no, when I resumed there was the dialogue asking if I wanted to fire up Visual Studio to debug it.

Fortunately this time it didn't require a restart. Before I figured this out I would often end up with some weird contention where the driver software was half-dead and then it had loaded another instance. You get two icons on the systray and can't connect.

No comments: