Monday, 23 April 2007

Alas poor cell phone

Sigh, another mishap with consumer electronics. I carefully put my cell phone in my back pocket while roller blading since I usually fall forwards. Just as I got back to the car, I fell right on my butt and wrenched the flip off screen off the phone. I also hurt my butt.

Quick trip to the Vodaphone store and now I have anew phone. Something very basic. Their cheapo flip open phones looked flimsy or were too expensive. I got a simple phone with exposed keyboard. It's simple to lock the keyboard but my concern was that previous phones I have had like that can dial emergency services by accident. In the US you have to be able to dial 911 from a phone at any time so when you "lock" the keyboard it means you can only dial a 9 or a 1. Ads on the sides of buses tell you to lock your phone to avoid false calls to 911, but locking it actually increases the odds of misdialing. The sales rep assured me that wasn't the case in NZ, but now that I play with the phone, I see that it is. If the keyboard is locked and you dial 111 it pops up asking if you want to place the call. Probably a bit less likely to fail.

Poor old Motorola, you served me well. From petrochemicals you came. To petrochemicals you shall return (by way of the instore recycling service).

No comments: