Friday, 20 April 2007

Coffee + keyboard = :(

We've all spilled something on our keyboards, I am sure but yesterday was a real doozy. I knocked almost an entire cup of coffee on the keyboard of my laptop. I immediately turned it upside down to drain things out and turned it off for a bit. I popped off some keycaps and mopped things up. It didn't seem well. I had to go to an interview so I left it to dry.

When I returned it seemed OK except that the control key was stuck. That turned out to be Sticky Keys (a Windows accessibility feature). Thank you Mr Google for that pointer. A few keys are dead though, including the 3/# key which makes it difficult to say C# in your resume (C InsertSymbol move-mouse double-click OK).

Something tells me my laptop will be seeing a doctor soon. Anyway, it motivated me to set up my desktop computer again. Amazingly I still remembered my password (two passwords ago). Took about one minute to get it connected to our DSL wireless modem. Woo hoo. Dual mon again. Now I can be 30% more effective.

No comments: